Wednesday, September 10, 2008

School

I am getting more and more comfortable with teaching. The teacher left me a lone for a long time today with the kids and they decided to test me and see how far I would go before they got in trouble. It was really hard to stick to my guns, but I made it through. It is also hard to break things down so they can understand it. My expectations have been to high in the past, so now I am scared to make it to hard. This one little boy yelled at me, shoved some papers off my desk onto the floor and then took his shoes off and refused to put them back on and then he did not want to finish his work. I told to let me know when he was ready to be respectful and do his work. Also I told me that I did not care how long it took, but we would work on it as long as it took to finish. Then he straightened up and finished quickly. I almost lost my patience, I was scared of stepping over my boundaries so I asked my teacher what I could do. She told me whatever I wanted. So I have going to give him a good talking to tomorrow and make him walk around a square on the playground instead of playing. My teacher said that it was a good idea. I need to show him that he is not an exception to the rule. He is really low and has a temper, and hates to be disciplined but that still does not give him any right to treat me like that or act that way. I was so mad, but now I am okay. The rest of the kids were okay. This was a good learning experience today.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Glad you are getting comfortable with teaching... I withdrew from a job I had for a few weeks teaching 5th graders how to dance. I don't like kids, and this furthered that syndrome!! Oh well, I am still at the highschool doing my internship and I am still going to school, and dating an amazing man, :) I miss you!