Thursday, September 4, 2008

My second teaching experience. Yikes!

So I taught math again today and it was so bad that I did not know what to say to help them understand. My teacher jumped in and helped me out. When we talked about it she said that I moved to fast for a new concept. Also I need to break it down in more second grade language. I have a hard time straying from the book, but today proved that the book is not always the best way to do it. As we talked about it I showed her the parts that I did not understand and she clarified. I was missing a whole visual that would have made all the difference. So now that I know that, tomorrow's lesson will hopefully go a lot better than today's. I could have cried, I know, I know, lessons are learned this way but dang it was so hard and humbling. As soon as I think I got it and think I can do it then this happens. I guess I better not get to bold about how I am doing. I need to have more examples, so I am going to try it today. Wish me luck.:)

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Cim! This is quite the experience, isn't it! I taught math on Tuesday - and it went great. But for past few days, they just don't seem to be getting it. It is humbling, and frustrating, but I guess the only way to learn to teach math is to keep trying. . . *sigh.* :) Good luck!!