Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My first homemade quilt!

So my sister has been working on making me domesticated before I get married. So she has been having me help can beans and fruit and learn how to sew. The canning part was easy but the sewing part was a lot harder than it looked. I could not remember how to thread the machine and sewing in a straight line with everything the right direction was a challenge all in itself. My first attempt was to make towel ponchos where you cut a hole in the middle and then sew the sides together. Sounds pretty easy? Well that is what I thought. I start at 9 in the morning and got my first one done at 6 that night. I had to pick it out more than once and I kept forgetting to put the foot done so it kept on gobbing up the thread. Then I would have to take it out again. By 11 pm I finally got 5 towels done, once I figured out how to do one the process went a lot faster. :)
So for my next sewing experience I decided I needed my own queen sized quilt. My sister helped me cut out all the pieces then sew them together to make the most confusing puzzle I have ever done. It was hard to even turn the cutting board the right way so I could cut it. :) This took me all day to do just the front and then another day to do just the back and now we still have to quilt and bind it. I had no idea that it took so much work to make just one blanket. I sewed to many seams uneven and backwards I can't even count all of them. Then I would get a whole row sewed and realize that I was out of bobbin thread or the top needle was unthreaded. So I would hav to do all over again. :) I wanted to scream most of the time, but now that I almost done, I do feel some accomplishment. I think that I am now officailly domesticated. I still need a little practice, but maybe I would be okay.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I need to see pictures!